Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Reusable Snack bags for a $1! Make 4 with one Fat Quarter.

Last year I was in this natural grocery store and found the cutest reusable snack bags.  I went ahead and forked over the $10 per bag (one for each kid) hoping that I could eventually make my own.  After a few variations and help from friends who sew much better than I do, I finally came up with these.  Not much different than the store bought version (albeit a little less polished and MUCH cheaper).  Hopefully my little picture tutorial is easy to follow, let me know if you have any questions!

SUPPLIES
This assumes you already have a sewing machine and thread!

1 fat quarter - $1 at big lots or on sale at Joann's!
rip stop - (I get it from Joann's at $7/yd) only need 1/4 yard for this project
1/2in double fold bias tape (From Joann at $1.99 for 3 yards). I use just under 24in per bag for a total of 96in.  You still have enough for 3 more snack bags.

The above materials will make 4 snack bags at a total cost of $1.19 PER bag!
(NOT including any coupons or other sales you might find!)

Here are the instructions!

Lay out your fat quarter with rip stop underneath and trim to 18x22 (I notice a lot of the fat quarters I get have a little excess on one side or another)

Make your first cut across the shorter end at 6 inches, it will be longer than the rest, you can either trim it to 15 inches or make a deeper snack bag and prevent any waste.  Then cut the remaining large piece into 3 equal strips of 6x15.

The remaining instructions apply to each bag you assemble.  

Start by doing a double fold at the bottom of your bag, this will end up being the pocket opening.  Then sew that fold closed and sew around the edges of your fabric/ripstop.


Once both pieces have been sewn together, fold the bottom half over leaving a 3 inch flap at what will be the top of your bag.


Next, pinch the bottom of the bag and fold under a 1 inch bottom.  Pin the folds to secure for sewing.



Before you sew, add your bias tape.  start by folding the bottom of the tape to leave a clean edge.  The pin in as you fold it over the edges of your bag.  And yes, I DID take a break to have a manicure session with my kids ( :


When you reach the top corners of the bag, fold the bias tape under at the corners and clip.  Do not run the bias tape along the bottom.  
Quick awesome side note, my mom turned me on to using hair clips instead of pins, no more bleeding!!  


I do a double stitch seam to secure the bias tape and bag together, especially with how much my kids use these.   And there you go!  Repeat 3 more times and you have 4 snack bags!   Machine washable.









No comments:

Post a Comment